We have had a thing going on at our house for a while, where the kids each get to decide one night a week what they want for dinner and then get to help fix it! Well, I have been a slacker lately, because it is a lot more work and time to tell them how and what to do, but with the new year, I am trying to be better about doing meaningful things with my kids. In an attempt to be a better mom, we started this up again this week! Kenzie had tonight. She choose stuffed shells with spinach and corn. I love doing this with the kids because they eat soooo much better when it is them cooking the food. The other kids even eat better and compliment each other, it is so cute! But something else has come to my attention about why this is so important! As I helped Kenzie tonight, I had a moment when I realized that I was helping her prepare for the future by doing this. I could just see them 5 years from now decided what they wanted on their night, and then carrying it out all by themselves, and then later be able to cook for their own families!! I am so excited for those days when I can watch the fruits of my labors!! As I watched her finish putting her dinner in the oven, set the timer and start to clean up her mess, I was so happy about what my children are learning through all of this! Yes, it is a pain, but so worth seeing them grow into little ladies!!!
Wednesday: Karlin- Tacos and pineapple
Thursday: Kamren- Baked chicken strips
Saturday: Daxton- Stew( Tony influenced him on this one!!!)
Sunday: Tony-Spaghetti (Of course!)
I hope we can keep this up and this post will help me to remember how important it is when I feel a little overwhelmed with all the mess from it!!

6 comments:
That is a good way to look at it "to see the fruits of my labors." I tend to just get sad when my kids make a growing step especially the youngest. It can be fun to see them grow, mature, and take on responsibilities of life.
What a neat story! It is hard to remember sometimes that the inconvenience/mess makes them more self-reliant in the long run!
What a fun idea. I tried that once. Your right, it does take a LOT of patience on our part. Sometimes dinner is already a pain and then to add a helper or two.....It will be awhile before we can let everyone choose. Either that or we would be having sweet potatoes mixed with rice cereal....don't think that would be a very big hit with everyone! LOL
You have me tempted! Could it be possible that there really will be a day when my kids can cook their own meals and then clean up after themselves?! That is a blissful thought!
Good for you! I remember helping my Mom cook while growing up and now I am a fabulous cook...LOL! Not really, but at least I know the basics. Sounds like a fun ideA AND i NEED THAT recipe for the stuffed shells....looked way yummy!
you are such a good mommy! and i LOVE hearing about the things they choose! and you know it makes it easier for YOU when you dont have to "figure something out.." i dont like that part! oxoxops those looked so yummy kenz!
Post a Comment