
We went to a Love and Logic course about a year ago, and though I totally loved the concept, I don't think it was something I was fully ready to enforce at the time. My parenting lately has had a little kick in the pants brought on by the reality that my children are getting older and are fully capable of being able to be pretty self reliant.
So, on Monday for FHE, we had a whole lesson on choice and consequences. I made a little bucket with choices they could make and asked them to tell me the consequence for not doing those things. They ranged from not making beds, to what if Daddy decided not to go to work, to me not cleaning the house, to them cheating on a test, and on and on. After we went over that, I then handed them a new chart that they could mark off all their chores and choices in a day and also add any that they might need to remind themselves about doing during the week.
I cannot say any of this has been perfect! Not even close! But taking myself out of being the one that stands around all day and night reminding them that to make their bed, and brush their teeth, do their homework, blah, blah, blahhhhhhh!!!!!!, it has completely enpowered me!!!! I get up, we have scriptures, and then I just start doing what I need to do around the house and ignore what they are doing! Some mornings, it has been extremely hard for me to hold my tongue! I have to keep saying to myself, "You need them to fail to learn for themselves", over and over again! In fact, Kamren has walked herself to school twice this week. One morning without even having her hair done(harder on me than her!). I always follow behind her, encouraging her that she is almost there, but I will not suffer thier consequences for them or with them anymore because I love them too much to not teach them self reliance.
When I found this picture, it kind of put things into perspective for me. We all have choices, and different paths in life to decide what exactly we want to do with ourselves. It is my job, on this Earth, to teach my children as much about making good choices for themselves as I can. I have watched so many things in our own extended families lead to paths none of us would ever want for our own children. I have decided that teaching them self reliance from an early age is imperative to them becoming responsible, functioning, accountable people. I feel that this is also what our Heavenly Father wants for all of us. He doesn't just put us here without any guidance or examples, he put us here with all the tools we need to succeed in our quest back to him, as long as we will follow the right path. For those times when we don't, we have repentance to get back on that path. I marvel at the shear magnitude of His plan. He thought of every detail, every possibility that we may face, and then made a path back to Him for our choices.
I know I am not perfect, in fact, I am also learning things about myself while teaching them. I have a very short temper and that is something I am working on everyday to make sure that I am staying even tempered with them, whichever choices they make. I do know that with love, every thing is easier. When I really and truly want what is best for my children, teaching them and letting them make mistakes is a lot easier because I know that they reward of them being able to make good choices for themselves is so great!!

9 comments:
First off...beautiful picture!
Second, I want to know what kind of consequences your kids get from not doing their chores. I can't ever seem to find one that motivates them and doesn't make me feel absolutely horrible.
Third, you are an amazing mom! You really, truly are!!
Can you come and teach that FHE to my kids as well. I want things done my way, which isn't the case most of the time. I could really use that love and logic method.
You are a great example to me and how amazing you are with everyone! Love ya
love it! thanks for the advice and for sharing your feelings! Your amazing:)
Ok so next weekend I need a crash course in Love and Logic. My kids need to be kept under control! Thanks for being such a good mom and example to me!
Yep, you are amazing, Ricki! I love, Love and Logic. Just wish I was better at it! I think it's so similar to the way our Heavenly Father teaches us. Thanks for the inspiration!
Ricki...I think you are an incredibly insightful mother!...Your FHE idea proves it, you see a need in your home and you just attack the issue head on, like you said, following through with the consequence is always the hardest part, mosty because it takes so much patience and stick-to-it-ive-ness. That is something I really need to work on, esspecially where bridger is getting older and he DOES "get it"...with most things i guess.
and you better come see us over spring break if you come up! You guys are welcome to stay here too!
wow, Ricki! I definitely needed to read this post. Can I just follow you around for a week? This has been on my mind a lot lately too and I just needed to reminded of it again. I have always admired your skills of making teaching moments fun in your home, it is obvious your children are being blessed to have you to guide them.
You are the one of the most patient moms I have ever seen with kids! Your mama skills blow me away.
I just need to say thank you. Your post touched me in a way I really needed. I think I need to get this book. I miss being your neighbor.
Post a Comment