




I am kind of shocked by the thought of this statement myself! To think that I should have a daughter in 5th grade, and 11 really blows me away. I don't even feel like I could have an 11 year old. I think it is because I have been in "Toddlerville" for so long now that I can't even remember 11 years ago! I always kind of prepare myself the night before it is Rylan's birthday, because I am not sure how I am going to feel the next morning. This morning, I really didn't think about it first off, it took me a couple of hours. It wasn't until my mom called that I really even thought of it being her birthday today. I think as the years go by, time has dulled the pain of her death, and only leaves behind the few memories of her short year on this earth. I don't really feel sadness anymore for her death, I only feel grateful. Grateful that she doesn't have to live on this earth in a body that would limit her, and grateful that I get to have all of the great children that I am blessed with raising. I don't know that we would have had 4 more kids after her if we had to take care of her earthly limitations. There was only one point today when I actually got a little teary eyed, and that was when I was at Great Harvest having lunch. There was a handicap boy there, in a wheelchair, and my girls started asking why he couldn't talk and why he looked like that. Though I don't know for sure that this is how Rylan would have ended up, I did feel some sort of emotion just thinking of the possibility of it. He was so happy and so unaware of the restricitons his body placed on him. I am so grateful that my daughter got to come, teach us all very valuable lessons, and then return to our Heavenly Father to wait for our return in the Celestial Kingdom. It is an awesome feeling to know that at least one of my kids doesn't have to face trials and hardships to get there, she is already there!
We went tonight and did our normal Rylan celebration at the cemetery. We all go and sing happy birthday to her and then let balloons fly up to her so that she can catch them for her birthday in heaven(that is what the kids think happen to the balloons)! We then have cupcakes and take a picture around her headstone. It is amazing how each year there seems to be another kid in the picture. I was touched by Karlin though, this year. She decided she wanted to leave Rylan a cupcake on her headstone, so that she could eat it when she gets to come back to us. I thought that was so sweet of her.
Happy birthday, Rylan! We love and will miss you always!
I grew up in a town called Paradise, California. My father owned and
operated a local town Pharmacy as long as I can remember, it was before the
days wh...
10 years ago

9 comments:
Ricki that brought tears to my eyes. You have always amazed me and inspired me to better because of your peace with Rylan's mission in life and the faith you have to be reunited with her someday. I can't believe how much she looks like your other girls. What sweet pictures you posted. You are an awesome mom and friend. Which explains why you have so many friends and such darling kids.
O great, I am crying like baby; I couldn't even read the words because of my tears! That is so crazy that she would be 11! I forget sometimes about her too (since I guess I never really knew her!) You are amazing to have such a great outlook on it. I don't know if I could do the same. Your such a good mommy and I bet she can't wait to see you someday! Hope your day was a happy one!
p.s. tony does not look old enough to have a child in that picture!! he looks younger than Troy!!! LOL!
You made me teary reading your post. I too am grateful for the gospel that lets us be with our families forever and know that there is a better place than this earth! You are such an Amazing Mom!
my sweet friend...what a testimony. and through my tears i could feel the love you all have for her. you are such a good mama....those sweet kids of your never met her here on earth and yet you know they know her and love her. and she isnt forgoten. so with all your friends in tears know that we love you and we are excited to see the day in heaven when you are reunited with your sweet girl! oxoxox
oh and ah daxton and rylan are twins for real
What a beautiful example of endurance and faith you are! I often ask myself, "how did Riki and Toni do it?" They knew her smile, they knew her smell, They knew her laugh.
But then there are the words that bind us, and all those that we don't quite understand. We know she is a Celestial being, we know she is teaching in the spirit world and we are proud to say, at least Dustin got to know and love her. She had a purpose and mission. And though we, (Dustin and I) never held our little girl, not a day goes by we don't think of her and the legacy of faith and hope led by her sweet cousin Rylan. You were so blessed to know her, to be chosen for her, chamber's fam. I know you already know that though.
So, as I often say in my prayers, and I probably speak for you,"Till we meet again." We all love you Rylan, our eleven year old "family angel." And certainly, may God be with us till we meet again.
Thanks for letting me write the novel,
Dustin, Faith and Ava
Ricki, you already know that I was crying before I saw your blog. I fondly think of Rylan and her first birthday party. Happy that we were all a part of it. Funny how that worked out. We were all together to celebrate her life. And we didn't even know it would be her last. We have been so blessed to have you be the great example and wonderful mother that you are. We have all learned alot thru this experience. She's made it! If only we will endure to the end, we will all be with her. That is certainly something to strive for. We love you all! Thanks for your great examples of living the gospel! Families can be together forever!
Love Mom and Scott
Ditto to all the other posts. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and by so doing teaching us.
Post a Comment