Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My little lady that wouldn't be so little anymore!


The gang this year. Kenzie(7), Karlin(6), Kamren(4), and Daxton(20 months)


Kenzie could never pass up 2 chocolate cupcakes!

Today would have been Rylans, 12th birthday! I think I freak out a little each year that goes by, just with the very thought of actually having a child that old. But, this year was especially poignant! My daughter would be in Young Women's this Sunday with me if she was still alive. I look at those girls every Sunday, and I really can't fathom her being one of them! I am completely aware that she would not really be like any of them, because we have no idea how her disabilities would have affected her as she got older, but it is still mind boggling to me, even at the very thought.

I love all of the questions my girls come up with each year as we do our annual balloon/cupcakes at the cemetery thing. So I am going to share a few of our experiences.

Kamren wanted to know how she got the balloons that we let go, and Kenzie chimed in with,"Of course, the clouds open and she catches them in Heaven".

Karlin is always so worried about the fact that she wants to give Rylan a cupcake too.

And Daxton was just so upset that we made him let go of his brand new balloon that his mom just gave him. He kept trying to jump in the air after it.

I am so grateful for their little testimonies. They undeniably KNOW that they will see their sister again. Every year they ask me again when Rylan is going to come back and how old she is going to be. I know I don't have any idea the answers to those questions, but it is nice that I do have a little guidance from the gospel. In this years manual from the prophet Joseph Smith it reads:

Parents who lose children in death will receive them in the resurrection just as they laid them down.

I quote, "A question may be asked-'Will mothers have their children in eternity? Yes! Yes! Mothers, you shall have your children; for they shall have eternal life, for their debt is paid."
"Children....must rise just as they died; we can there hail our lovely infants with the same glory-the same loveliness in the celestial glory."

To me, those are amazing promises. They give me a new perspective as to how old she is going to be, but it also gives me hope for all of those people whose lost child wasn't an infant. To know that a 2 or 3 year old that was lost, or a child on a mission, or whatever age your child might be, will be brought back just as they were when they died is an amazing promise, and one that I will look forward to!

My favorite section in the Doctrine and Covenants is 137. I love how Joseph explains what he sees and how beautiful the Celestial Kingdom is. I especially like verse 7, where is says" Thus came the voice of the Lord unto me, saying: All who have died without a knowledge of this gospel, who would have received it if they had been permitted to tarry, shall be heirs of the celestial kingdom of God."

At least that is one child I won't have to worry about, she already is guaranteed all of our ultimate goal! I can only hope for all of us in this family, that returning to her and our Heavenly Father remains as important as it is today. I cannot wait to one day look back at this life, and think that I learned a lot from this trial about myself and my Heavenly Father's plan for me. I have already grown a lot from the young 20 year old who had this little girl, and I am sure I have a lot more growing to do from this experience

For now, I am just glad that I have this moment every year to reflect and grow from it.

Happy Birthday, Chunkamunka! Next year she would have been a teenager! Wow

18 comments:

Sarah said...

That was really sweet Ricki. Thanks for sharing. What a great tradition to have a birthday party each year.

Joel and Kristie said...

Every year you write the most amazing posts about your sweet Rylan and make me bawl!! I love the quotes you used they give me such hope and peace!!! Happy Birthday Rylan!

The Scott Family said...

Well said, Ricki. I too loved the lesson from the Joseph Smith manual. My girls also navigate different thoughts about where their sister is and when they will see her again. I hope and pray as their mother that they will find the same motivation I have to be more like Christ so that I can be an eternal family. You're awesome.

Russ and Suz Adamson said...

Ricki, I am so grateful to have met you and the great example that you are. You have such a positive outlook on life and I know that is why you are blessed with such a great family and friends.Thank you for that sweet post about your angel. I hope that if something like that were to happen to me that I would have your same faith. I think that is so great that you have this tradition for her every year. I bet it is something that your kids will continue to look forward to for many many years. I miss not running with you guys so we can get time to chat.

Dion Seneca said...

Ricki, you are such an amazing Mom! And I know that Rylan is looking down, smiling, as she watches you take care of your family. I believe that to her this only seems like a moment before she will be in your arms again. In the meantime, I know that she is proud of you and the mother that you are to ALL of your children. I am always touched by your birthday posts for her. Thank you for sharing!

terifurniss said...

As always....you are amazing, and strong. If only everyone had a testimony and a good outlook on life and the eternities. I am grateful for Rylan, she gives me something to strive for. I love the balloon tradition and of course the chocolate cupcakes. I have gone back this week and looked at Rylan's pictures...she was an angel. We always ask ourselves, "How did we ever go thru all of that and stay so strong?" We know that He only gives us that which we can handle. Thank you Rylan for changing our lives for the better. We love you! Oh Yeah...I love you too Ricki. You are such a good mom and what an example you are to all of us. Love Mom

Marcie said...

I can't believe that it has been twelve years. I remember how you lovingly spent so much time Rylans first year researching so that you could make sure she had access to the best of everything. Now she already has that...plus a loving family still thinking about and celebrating her life.

The McCrary's said...

Ricki I can't believe it has been that long. Rylan was such a cute little girl. Lisa is up in heaven taking care of her and watching out for her. Lisa loved her so much. What an awesome tradition it is that we can go to the cemetry and remember the good times that we shared with our loved ones. I can't believe she would have been 12 yrs. old. You are a strong women.

Lil Mamas said...

SISTER! LOVED this post! I dont even know where you find your strength! I know we may not believe in the same things when it comes to church but I admire your faith in God and how strong it STILL is after everything you have been through. If God will bring you to it, He will bring you through it! I love you!

Angie Stewart Black said...

Has it really been that long? I can't believe how time flies so fast. It seems like only yesterday that we were at the park with Rylan laying in your lap having a picnic. You gave me chills as I read your entry. You're such a good example to me. I don't know how you manage it all but you make it look so easy. I love to read how strong your testimony keeps growing. You are an inspiration and Rylan would be so proud of you.

Kendra said...

Ricki that was really sweet. Thanks for sharing that with us. you are such a stong person. I love the ballons and birthday party idea. What a sweet time to remember.

Julie Winder said...

Ricki, I have always admired you for your strength and testimony of the plan of salvation. You are such an example to me! Rylan is so lucky to have a mom who loves her soooo much, and sisters and brothers who can learn so much from her. What a beautiful reunion you will all have someday. Thanks for sharing her with us.

Veronica said...

I love Rylan's birthday blogs! What a great tradition you have! You are such an amazing person and I love how positive you are about everything....everytime I read blogs about Rylan I want to send my sister that lost her baby to your blog to read it! Thanks for sharing!

Rachel Smith said...

thank you for sharing this. It is amazing how i feel like i go about my life completely oblivious to whats important some days, then others i am fully commited to remembering the "Big Picture". Thanks for bringing me back down to remembering the important parts of THIS life.
I love that Karlin so so concerned about Rylan getting a cupcake. What a good sister.

anne said...

As I was reading that I really started to cry. I cannot imagine losing a baby. I loved reading all the doctrine you found about it. How comforting to know all that. :) Can you imagine losing a child and not believing you would see her again. How heartbreaking. I hope that one day I can have all the faith you have. You are amazing.

Ryan Dana said...

your kids are adorable! and i love you your awesome!

Derek and Tomi said...

hey you need to add me! your so awesome!

raw mom said...

sheesh! you always get me crying talking about that!
i love your testimony, rick. i love and i am gratful for the promises we have and i really am so thankful that the price was paid for all of us. i am so excited for he day when you get to hold your sweet girl in your arms and see her made whole again. i am so proud of you for teaching your kiddies about their sister and the plan.and your know you are doing SOMETHING right :) when your little ones KNOW that there is life after death and that although it might be tough to get through, we always have our Fathers love and our Saviors love to help get us through. YAY for the gospel!! oxox