
I don't know how anybody can come away from the St. George Marathon not feeling like they could run! After you see those people, fat, skinny, tall, missing limbs, old as dirt, and others you then know that ANYBODY can run if they put their minds to it and train! Or maybe not train! I now know of two crazy guys that didn't train and completed the marathon, but I think they are insane and their bodies are definitely both screaming at them tonight! Every year, after I go and see those crazy people come across the finish line, I think, for about a nano second, "I could do that"! It only lasts for a fleeting second, bu it is seriously inspiring! I saw a man today that had a shirt on that said, "84 and still running"! 84! 84! He should be dead, not running marathon's! But he was doing it and I was mighty impressed! I also saw an old neighbor of mine while we were walking back to the car. She had just finished her 7th marathon and she looked amazing! I think the girl was 50-75 pounds lighter than the last time I saw her! I am not saying I will ever do this (my nano second has already passed), but I am very intrigued by this accomplishment and who knows, maybe someday my kids will make me insane enough to even to that! Spending some quality time more often with my running shoes and my I-pod doesn't sound all that bad! It is the blisters and the half dead looking friends of mine from a few years ago during the marathon that makes me rethink myself! Maybe someday!
The other thing that makes me want to do the marathon, is my stinking husband! He goes out there every year and says," I could do that without even training!" I am calling bull crap, but I would love to see him try and be brought to his knees either getting into the paddy wagon not finishing, or crossing the finish line and collapsing! He is so sure that you don't have to train for a marathon that I seriously might sign us both us, just so that he can't use that line another stinking year! Even if I have to run/walk the thing, probably more walk the thing, I think it would be worth it just so that he can see it is not that easy!
I grew up in a town called Paradise, California. My father owned and
operated a local town Pharmacy as long as I can remember, it was before the
days wh...
10 years ago

7 comments:
You're funny Ricki. I bet you could do it for sure. That 84 year old guy is amazing! How did Angie do? I wish I would have gone to the finish line earlier. I could have watched them all day. It was so neat.
I totally agree, I love watching the marathon and seeing so many different types of people come in, all driven with one goal in mind and the determination to do it. Ok, Ricki lets do it! Brent's says I need to rededicate myself and do it again. This is the perfect time of year to run!
You could definitely do it. I mean, come on! Look at everything you do everyday to take care of not only your family but all of your neighbors, too. Training for and running the marathon would be small compared to how hard you already work!
Well I will NEVER run a marathon with you, so you can forget about that! Sign Tony up... that sucker! I will totally show up to watch that!! My type a marathon is a half marathon; you may be able to talk me into that!! We will see how good I do in the 10K??
You won't ever see me out there.... but you may see Jayson in the future. He has talked about doing one for years (he ran cross country in high school, and wants to get back into it) - We debated about "not training" and came to the conclusion that you can run a marathon with out training... but kiss your body goodbye! I kinda like my body - even with it's problems, so you won't see me out there - except at the finish line with a huge glitter sign, and a snickers bar in hand with a couple of kids!
I'm sorry but you are too funny. I loved your post. I think you could run that Marathon next year and not only could you run it, you would probably win with that pace that you have!
My husband is one of those insane people that has run a marathon without any training. He wanted to run the Derby marathon the week before he graduated from Dental school. He totally didn't have time to train with all of the course work.....but still decided to run anyway.
He actually did amazing and was totally fine at the finish line. However, the other guy he ran with was not and literally had to be dragged across the finish line. I think it all depends on if you've been a runner in the past or not....I have not and most definitely would die.
Post a Comment