Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The pools and the Ocean-Cancun

We kind of had a divide, in the kind of water we wanted to spend our time in!!!! Tony loves the ocean! He loves to snorkel! He loves to explore! I, on the other hand, prefer the pools. I don't really like the salt, and what is under the ocean that I can't see, scares me! Karlin tried to go snorkeling with her dad. I wanted her to make up her own mind. In the end, she ended up with Grandma and I at the pools.
We got smart a couple days into the trip, and started going out early so that we could get one of the covered little huts with lounge chairs. This is pretty much where we spent our days!!! Karlin would swim in the rivers right in front of us, and we would read our books, and enjoy the sun. I finished the book "The Help", and my mom read a couple of books! Tony was way to hyper for this kind of hanging out!!! He would come down with us, get bored, go snorkeling down at the beach, and then come back a while later and play with Karlin in the pool.

Tony found some amazing creatures in the ocean. He would bring tote them all back from the beach so that we could get a good look, and then carry them back to the ocean! He loves animals, especially sea life.


This is what the water looked like right in front of our hotel. Not the nicest color. Apparently it rained to week before we got there and the waters from the Cenote at the Hotel next door to us drains into our beach when it rains!
But you walk just to the left or right, and this is the view! Beautiful!
About the 3rd or 4th day, a lady walked up to Karlin and asked her if she would like to have their rafts because they were leaving the next day! Score!! We ended up spending the rest of our days there floating on them! It was especially nice because to buy anything to float on at the gift shop was at least $50!! We will make sure to remember to bring some with us next time! We did have one scary moment at the pools!! Tony was snorkeling, shocking!!! My mom and I were reading, and Karlin was playing in the water a few feet from us. I looked up, and she was gone!! I looked around for a couple minutes, and then started panicking!! She isn't one to wander, especially in Mexico! We keep looking, it has been about 10 minutes now. I start thinking "Natalee Holloway", creepy predator, crazy thoughts! I am walking around trying to stay calm, but imagining that my daughter has been kidnapped and how I am going to go home without her! I start praying that Heavenly Father will please protect her and guide us, but I am panicking! I end up going over to the party pool and they make an announcement telling everyone to look for her. She still doesn't show up, so I just keep walking! Checking the kids club, going up to our room, trying the bathroom- no luck! The party pool guy radios for the whole hotel to go on alert! I am seriously scared by this point. My mom then comes around the corner and says she has found her! I was so grateful! She apparently said she was headed to look for her dad at the beach, and that she thought I had told her it was ok!!! Yeah right! We had the "don't leave my sight again" talk, and went on with our day! I was so upset, but so grateful that I think the grateful in me won over! I can not even imagine losing a child in a foreign country! Not one of my favorite moments!

0 comments: