I think my girls had a love/hate relationship with Summer Swim Team this year! They were both soooo excited to participate this year-I thought for sure this was the year they were going to LOVE it! Well, no dice! Though they both made amazing strides with their swimming techniques(Karlin actually doesn't swim like a frog anymore!!!), they both were not into the time and dedication of 4 mornings a week that swim team took away from their summer vacation! I must admit, that when that first day of school came around and I thought back to our summer, I had some regrets! Not enough time spent doing nothing, lots of structure(swim started at 9 AM, Tuesday throughFriday), not much time spent playing with friends like they would have liked, etc., etc. I guess there are always regrets when you look back!!! If only I would have recorded their strokes at the beginning of the summer compared to the end, maybe then they would see the benefits!!!
In the end, they both are not fans of the swim meets. We only participated in 2 this summer. They are extremely long, and though I was well prepared with plenty of cold snacks, chairs, towels, games, and shade, they still didn't like them. They aren't exaclty "competitive" girls! In fact, they could have cared less if they took last every race. In a way I guess this isn't a bad trait to have at their young ages, but I really wish that the swimmers next to them made them want to swim faster. The only thing that actually worked was the bribe of cupcakes if you improved your stroke every race! I guess they are more motivated by sweets than winning!!! Awesome!!! I loved watching them in the water, it is fun as a mother to watch your kids excel at something that you never really learned yourself. I think they both really enjoyed that actual practice days. Kenzie really liked her coach, and they both really enjoyed the "game" days that they had on Thursdays. I really hope that though it was challenging for both of them, they will look back at it as a fond childhood memory.
Kamren spent the first swim meet entertaining herself anyway she could. She built a fort and played with my camera! Very entertaining, as you can see!









4 comments:
such cute kiddies! you know i love them! and i am so happy for them that they love to swim just for fun! you are a great mama making sure they learn new things and have fun with life!!
I think its great that you had them in something so fun for the summer. I bet they are both excellent swimmers because of it and someday when they are doing a triathalon or being a lifeguard...they will be so thankful that you pushed them! Love it.
You are catching up, slowly but surely. Keep it up! And don't stop! I'm going to need regular updates...it may be the only thing that keeps me sane! Love you all!
What good swimmers your kids are! Cam is a great swimmer because he was always on a swim team, but I am not that great and hardly ever put my face in the water..kinda like you!
Post a Comment